© Reuters. A view reveals a Golf Canada indication at the Canadian Open’s Championship Pro-Am after news was launched of a brand-new collaboration in between the PGA Tour and Saudi-backed LIV Golf circuit, at Oakdale Golf and Country Club in Toronto, Ontario, Canada June 7, 2023. R
By Steve Keating
TORONTO (Reuters) – After being struck with a number of LIV Golf bombshells, COVD-19 and even forest fires, it is uncertain that any PGA Tour occasion has actually withstood more misfortune than the Canadian Open.
The world’s third-oldest nationwide open champion the Canadian Open is taking a double hit today, pressed out of the golf spotlight on Tuesday by the shock statement that the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and Saudi-backed LIV Golf had actually consented to form one combined industrial entity ending a bitter year-long fight.
If that was insufficient, forest fires raving in Northern Ontario and Quebec have actually left a blanket of smoky air wafting over Oakdale Golf and Country Club triggering some golf players and fans to take some included procedures.
After the 2020 and 2021 competitions were cancelled due to COVID-19 the Canadian Open made a long-awaited return in 2015 just to be eclipsed by the PGA Tour and LIV Golf fight.
With Rory McIlroy back to protect the title he won in 2019, the Canadian Open was the very first PGA Tour occasion to go head-to-head with LIV Golf, who were playing their inaugural occasion at Centurion Club outdoors London.
If that wasn’t enough of a diversion, PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan seized the day to come to Canada and state war on the rebel circuit, prohibiting defectors.
The Canadian Open is likewise encumbered the included drawback of being sandwiched in between recently’s necessary stop at the Memorial Tournament and next week’s U.S. Open which is followed by yet another necessary stop the Travelers (NYSE:) Championship.
Top golf players hardly ever play 5 weeks consecutively and are needed to be at necessary occasions leaving the Canadian Open as the apparent one to remain.
“I feel bad for (sponsor) RBC and the Canadian Open,” stated McIlroy, who will bid to sign up with Sam Snead, Lee Trevino, Tommy Armour and Leo Diegel as a three-time Canadian champ. “To think about what went on this time last year and then the bombshell that was dropped.
“I feel bad due to the fact that being such a terrific partner and having this things sort of dropped on you 2 years in a row is really unreasonable.”
Despite the many challenges Golf Canada says tickets are nearly soldout with close to 120,000 spectators expected over the four rounds starting on Thursday.
A huge boost to the tournament’s profile could be provided by a strong Canadian contingent who will try to deliver the first home grown champion since Pat Fletcher in 1954.
“I can’t assist however feel unfortunate for the Canadian Open,” said Canada’s Adam Hadwin. “Once once again, this news drops Tuesday of what is our National Open, an extremely crucial occasion for golf in Canada.
“Now once again we’re overshadowed most likely for the entire week.
“My hope is that we wind up with if not myself 2 or 3 other Canadians in contention or Rory (McIlroy), with Justin Rose or other leading gamers that are here and we can put the focus back on the occasion.”