OFAC took a variety of considerable sanctions actions over the recently throughout numerous programs:
- OFAC Sanctions Entities Tied to Russia and North Korea: OFAC on Aug. 16 approved 3 entities connected to a sanctions evasion network trying to support arms offers in between Russia and North Korea. OFAC designated Limited Liability Company Verus (Verus), Defense Engineering Limited Liability Partnership (Defense Engineering), and Versor S.R.O. (Versor). OFAC’s action restricts deals with the designees and freezes any properties they might have under U.S. jurisdiction. Read more.
- OFAC Sanctions Individuals Involved with Poisoning of Anti-Corruption Activist: OFAC on Aug. 17 approved Alexey Alexandrovich Alexandrov, Konstantin Kudryavtsev, Ivan Vladimirovich Osipov, and Vladimir Alexandrovich Panyaev for their functions in the 2020 poisoning of Russian opposition political leader and anti-corruption activist, Aleksey Navalny. In 2020, Navalny was poisoned while on an airplane to Moscow. He was hospitalized in major condition after being poisoned and was flown to Germany where he got treatment. Navalny went back to Russia in 2021 where he was put behind bars and on Aug. 4, 2023, a Russian court sentenced Navalny to an extra 19 years in jail on unproven charges of so-called “extremism.” OFAC’s classifications are matched by the Department of State’s statement of visa limitations versus Alexandrov, Kudryavtsev, Osipov, and Panyaev for their participation in a gross infraction of human rights. Their instant member of the family are likewise disqualified for entry into the United States. All home and interests in home of the designated people that remain in the United States or in the belongings or control of U.S. individuals are obstructed and need to be reported to OFAC. Read more.
- OFAC Settles Potential Civil Liability for OFAC Violations: OFAC on Aug. 16 revealed a $660,594 settlement with New Jersey-based business, Construction Specialties Inc. CS has actually consented to settle its prospective civil liability for 3 evident infractions of OFAC sanctions on Iran. The concern emerged from CS’s United Arab Emirates subsidiary, Construction Specialties, Middle East L.L.C. who exported U.S. origin products to Iran. Specifically, in between Dec. 4, 2016 and Aug. 3, 2017, CSME senior management supervised the purchase and reexportation of industrial structure items, valued at roughly $1,100,991, from providers in the United States with the understanding that these products were eventually predestined for a client in Iran. OFAC identified that these evident infractions were outright and were willingly self-disclosed. Read more.
- OFAC Sanctions Syria-Based Militias: OFAC on Aug. 17 designated 2 Syria-based armed militias and 3 members of the groups’ management structures in connection with major human rights abuses versus those living in the Afrin area of northern Syria. An car sales business owned by the leader of among the armed groups is likewise being designated. OFAC designated militia leaders Mohammad Hussein al-Jasim (Abu Amsha), Walid Hussein al-Jasim and Sayf Boulad Abu Bakr. OFAC designated militias the Suleiman Shah Brigade and the Hamza Division. Finally, OFAC designated an automobile dealer owned by Abu Amsha, Al-Safir Oto. The designees have actually worsened the suffering triggered by years of civil war in northern Syria and impeded the area’s healing by taking part in major human rights abuses versus susceptible populations. Read more.
- OFAC Designates Green Without Borders and its Leader: OFAC on Aug. 16 designated Lebanon-based Green Without Borders and its leader, Zuhair Subhi Nahla for supplying assistance to Hizballah. Green Without Borders is a Lebanon-based company that has actually offered assistance to, and cover for Hizballah’s operations in southern Lebanon, running under the guise of ecological advocacy. GWB leader Nahla has actually explained the company’s tree planting activities as supplying a wall to safeguard Hizballah, highlighting its tactical significance for Hizballah’s security. Although Nahla declares that he and GWB are not part of Hizballah, he has openly recognized his and GWB’s association with the terrorist group. Read more.